When Do I Celebrate?

We signed an offer on our house tonight — the Ides of March! I hope it turns out better for us than it did for Caesar. If all goes well, we should close near the end of June. I don’t know why I’m not more excited — (perhaps I’ve been over-doing it with the vacuuming)? I feel like celebrating now… but there’s more work to do, more hurdles to cross, still so many things that could go wrong. So when do I celebrate? now? or when the home inspection is done and the issues are handled? or when the buyer’s loan approval process is complete? or when the buyer’s townhome sells? or when we’re a week away from closing and everything seems like we’re on a glidepath to a clean close? or, when we actually close and the cash is in the bank? I fear that if I wait until closing… the end of the process… I’ll have little energy left. The celebration might be two fingers of scotch and a nap!
It’s only been a little over two weeks, but it feels much longer. Our Realtor, Ginny Sylvester, has been a real trooper and has really helped us through the process. We’ve sold homes before and often we’ve seen “our” agent when we signed the listing agreement, and then had to get re-acquainted with him/her at closing: (”so nice to see you… what did you say your name was again??… Oh yes, that’s right, I knew I’d met you somewhere before”). Ginny has been different. She brought in an interior decorator to help get the home in showroom condition. She helped move things around, put the right things on the walls, in the right places. She’s made sure we’re ready for every showing. She’s called with feedback from the showings. She’s shepherded a bunch of other agents through the house, plied with cheap wine and a drawing, so they can experience it first hand and perhaps, bring back the right buyer. I can’t say enough about her. She’s a breath of fresh air in an increasingly musty, stagnant world.
So, the clock’s ticking. Keep your fingers crossed. Nudge me when it’s over.

Comments

Slightly Better than Most