Blogging and Other Thoughts

Whenever I fall behind with the blog, it's a real chore for me to get back at it. Whether initially caused by laziness or busyness or whatever, there's a certain momentum that accompanies stepping away from the routine of regular posting. I mean "if I haven't posted for the past 5 days, what's one or two more?" And so it goes.

I write this blog for two reasons: first, to keep family, friends, and curious others informed about our location and adventures. This reason has an element of selfishness to it as it's much easier for me to write one blog entry instead of a whole bunch of individual emails and phone calls. But it also means that those who are interested in our whereabouts can do so at their convenience. The second reason I write is for a permanent record of our travels during this fulltime RV lifestyle phase of our lives. Ultimately the permanent record takes the form of a book that I have printed each year with all the entries from that particular year's blog. If I had no regular readers at all I'd still write for the permanent record. But I must say that having a few readers adds another dimension... another level of enjoyment to the whole process.

We all need a purpose for our life. That purpose can, and does, change over time... whether it's raising your kids, a craft or hobby or talent that you're passionate about, your work or profession, or any number of other interests that occupy your mind and your time. I suppose one can have multiple concurrent purposes, but for the most part, I think one will dominate at any single point in time. For me, right now, blogging and other writing projects I'm working on provide me with my purpose.

Some incessant bloggers may carry this need for a purpose into the realm of addiction. That's probably also the case with many who live on facebook or other social networking sites for hours each day. I'm working hard to keep that from happening with me... savoring the days I don't blog but still enjoying the days when I do "fall back ON the blogging wagon".

========

Tough Question for the Day: Efficiency and productivity have exploded in the past few years. Is it possible that we can now satisfy the demand for goods and services in the USA without employing most of the nearly 20% of the population that are either out of work or vastly under-employed? Put another way... Do we now have a permanent under-class that neither earns nor consumes anything beyond the basics... and will be a net cost to society for the foreseeable future? How do we deal with this... as a society?

Comments

Joe and Tracey said…
I can certainly relate to that blogging momentum thing. I haven't posted in weeks, chiefly because I'm off the road. As you know, there's much more motivation to write when you're seeing new things every day or so.

As regards your comment on the employment situation, let's not forget overseas outsourcing along with the increases in efficiency and productivity. I've also noticed that some employers have used the economic downturn to shed employees with the expectation that the remaining staff will take up the "slack." I'm not sure any of these jobs are coming back. We read reports of increased earnings and signs of an uptick in the economy. Yet there hasn't been much movement in the job situation. It may well be that our demands for goods and services will continue to be met by fewer workers who are working harder and longer. I have no answer as to how society will deal with the growing non-working class.

- Joe

Slightly Better than Most