May 13 - The End of the Trail
- Move from La Grande, OR. to Vancouver, WA.
- Route: I-84 all the way
- Fueled (diesel) at 4.149
- Miles Today: 272
- Total Spring12 bus-house miles : 2,548
- Total Spring12 toad miles : 1,002
- Tonight's camp: Van Mall RV Park elevation 180'
- Weather: morning low 37f, high 88f. too dang hot... but nice
- Notables: 1.Never tire of the fantastic drive along the Columbia River Gorge
- Link to photo album for today.
What a marvelous drive through the Blue Mountains of Eastern Oregon, followed a little later by the "E-ticket" rated drive along the Columbia River and it's Gorge cut through the Cascade Mountains. I never tire of the Gorge... I think of the native people who lived here for thousands of years... the Lewis & Clark Corps of Discovery coming through in the fall of 1805... settlers along the Oregon Trail enduring so much hardship as they sought a better future... all of it watched over by the bright white snow-capped Mount Hood. It's mind-candy for explorers of any age.
The move today was good. Sunny skies and a tailwind helped push the bus-house to over 8mpg. We arrived at the RV Park (we've been here before), got set up, and headed over to see the grand kids, Andi and Gage, and re-connect.
As much as we love traveling and exploring, we also love time with family. What's that old saying... We love leaving, but we also love coming home.