Jan 16 - More on Blogs

Looks like I stirred up a minor ruckus with a couple folks out there in bloggerville with my January 2 post entitled Thoughts on the Journal... specifically my comment that "those doing what we're doing (living in a giant RV, going north in the summer, escaping south in the winter, staying at RV parks for long periods of time, etc) have universally boring blogs".  Considering how few people read this blog, it actually felt good to be the agent of some controversy for a change. And it caused a nice little bump in readership too.

But about all this I have two or three brief things to add. First, I was including myself in that comment and consider my blog to be a real bore too. Perhaps that wasn't clear enough. Second, my comment is my opinion, which, last I checked, I'm still entitled to. Just as I don't expect to agree with everything others have to say, I don't expect others to always agree with me.

And lastly... whatever happened to the free exchange of ideas that most of us in the USA used to subscribe to? Why do so many of us now read or listen only to those who don't upset our little worlds? Wouldn't it be better to seek out alternative views and opinions... to challenge ourselves... to use that wonderful reasoning ability that we have... to see that there might be another side to the story?

In a larger sense I'm struggling to keep things lively for myself, in both my writing and my reading. And perhaps if some of us become a little more concerned about the quality of our work as opposed to the volume or frequency of it, blogland might just become a tad more interesting for all of us.

Comments

You must have missed the fine print, the line where it says you're not entitled to your own opinion on your blog. ;c)

I hear you and agree, there are so many great blogs out there to enjoy, I've culled through tons of them and picked out the ones I find are well written and interesting. Your blog made my cut.

Keep up the good work, whenever you get a chance to post, I'll be reading. :c)
Betty Graffis said…
Whew glad you are going to keep posting! I for one, look forward to, and enjoy your blog.
Unknown said…
It's funny, I hear a lot of people commenting on whether their or someone else's blog is boring, but if you started the blog for your own purposes then I have to wonder why one cares whether anyone else likes it. I keep in touch with our family when we are on the road, and when we are back in Cudahy still trying to sell the old house I commiserate about the delay -- but I really don't care if other people are reading it. I write for the therapy of writing, and I blog because it saves me carrying yet another book around in a car or RV that is already too full.

Just go out there and do what you need to do.

Cheers,

Peter
Joe and Tracey said…
Yo Thom - Like Paul and Marti above, I've checked out hundreds of RV blogs over the years - most of them just once. Yours is among my "keepers." I have noticed, though, that some of the more intriguing blogs are kept by solo travelers who are on journies with their thoughts. I like to read them but, like you, I'd rather travel with my "safety director" by my side. :) - Joe
Nan said…
I have found your blog interesting and informative. Keep it up. And hooey to those that cannot accept your opinions as YOUR opinions.
RV blogs (and other travel blogs) might be more interesting if people stopped thinking of it as a type of shopping trip for white, middle-class, suburbanites.

Think of national parks, Pioneer museums, state capitol buildings, candy factories, and RV parks as BAR-CODED products to be consumed in the "travel store." That's why travel blogs are boring: they are the moral equivalent of a shopping trip to Walmart.

Bloggers should stop consuming and start experiencing and experimenting. They should stop worshiping comfort and safety.

Unless they can imagine something (in their travels) as lacking one of these standard bar codes, there is no reason to write about it at all.

Slightly Better than Most