Two More at Sleepy Bear

Monday, July 30, 2007 -- Still at Sleepy Bear

I made contact this morning with a local mechanic in nearby Traverse City that I found on the internet. The fact that a mechanic has a web site at all is something. But I liked the website... very simple and to the point, with some business philosophy I liked, and photos of himself, his wife, and an employee mechanic. It sounded genuine to me so I called him. I talked with the owner himself and he sounded real too. He had a full day today, but agreed to look at the toad tomorrow morning. I may be wrong, but I'm thinking (and hoping) the toad issue will be resolved tomorrow. So, our stay here at Sleepy Bear needed to be extended, and our arrival at Mill Creek in Mackinaw City delayed. Both campgrounds were accommodating. We added two nights here and cut two nights off the Mill Creek visit. If all goes well with the toad tomorrow, we'll leave for Mackinaw City on Wednesday.

.

.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 -- Sleepy Bear and Traverse City

Toad's fixed! The problem was a front wheel bearing and hub assembly that was starting to make noise -- not the pinion bearing or universal joint I thought (proof I'm not a mechanic!). They checked the rest of the drive line and found no problems. The repair shop was as good as I hoped it would be. They were professional, good-natured people who worked quickly and had me back on the road by noon. I was able to pick up a few things on our shopping list, wash the toad, and fill it with gas before heading for home. And the noise... the hum... is now gone. There are plenty of other noises, creaks, and squeaks, but the hum was gone. The toad is now recommissioned and is back in service. Dar's smilin' because she's still ridin'.

It's getting warm up here this afternoon, with temps in the mid-90's. We thought about going to the beach but canned that idea as it'd just be too hot to really enjoy. The winds are very light and sitting on hot sand with the sun glaring down just doesn't sound like the greatest idea. So the afternoon will be spent reading and getting ready for our move tomorrow.

That's it for now...

T

Comments

Slightly Better than Most