Brazen Bold Bandera

After a dinner of Thanksgiving Day leftovers here at Pioneer River Resort in Bandera on Friday night, a large group of us headed up-town. One of the great advantages of this RV Park versus some others around town is that we're within easy walking distance to all the action on Main Street. As the self-proclaimed "Cowboy Capital of the World", you can be assured there's no shortage of honky-tonks for all the cowboys and cowgirls who fancy live music, Texas beer, and dancing -- especially on Friday and Saturday nights. The little town can really get rockin.

We sampled live music at two establishments -- Arkey Blues and Blue Gene's. The talent was great and the crowd lively. Dar and I are still trying to get the hang of the Texas Two-Step, an un-natural variation of the simple two-step dance that anyone can do. It seems Texans are born with the innate ability to dance their version without even thinking. Small town boys (at least this one) from the upper Midwest, who know the polka, the waltz, and some modern dances -- all of which I can just feel and move my feet to the beat -- well, I've got a problem making those same feet feel the beat of the Texas Two-Step. Just when I think I'm getting the hang of it my mind wanders, I loose it, and have to start over.

At any rate, we had a great time. Our neighbors at the RV Park are largely from the Upper Midwest and Canada. As a result we think alike, have similar senses of humor, and are all down here for the same reason... we all have a severe snow allergy which is best treated with warmth. So, with so much in common, in just a short few days we've already found another extended family here in Texas. I think we'll be spending more time in Bandera and the Hill Country of Texas in the future.

Working on my Texas Two-Step in Bandera...
Thom

Comments

Slightly Better than Most