Grease Monkey Day

Tuesday, yesterday, was a full day for me. I dressed in my best "grease monkey" clothes, mentally prepared for the job at hand, and went to work under the bus-house. By the end of the day I had changed the oil in the Cummins diesel, swapped in a new oil filter, lubed the chassis, changed oil in the Onan generator, and tested everything to check for runs, drips, or errs. I had also pulled an oil sample and sent it out for analysis... to see how our now more than 4 year old Cummins is getting along internally.

During the job I installed a Fumoto Valve instead of the normal drain plug on the Cummins diesel. It's a little ball valve designed for this application and makes the job of changing the oil go a little easier once it's installed. Since it's a valve that can be easily opened and closed, it's possible to directly fill gallon jugs with waste oil... for easy disposal. It's also possible to easily tap a sample for an oil analysis any time you'd like.

All the up and down and crawling around really whipped my butt by the end of the day. A shower, a glass of wine... and I was ready for bed.

Comments

An honest day's work and the money saved looks better in your pocket.

I installed the Fumoto valve on my Cat diesel, bought the one with the nipple on the end to slide a hose on to make it easier to drain into a jug.

The only downside of the Fumoto valve is the oil drains slowly. Make sure to loosen the oil fill cap to help the oil drain.

Ain't technology grand?

Slightly Better than Most