Oct 21 - Talkin' bout My Bike...

For the past 10 years or more I've been using a hand-me-down Specialized (brand) hybrid bike as my daily driver. It's nothing to be proud of, but it gets the job done. At least most of the time.

I love being on this bike. It feels natural for me... very relaxed and comfortable. But I'm feeling the urge to change... to upgrade?? to something that might serve my needs better.

There are two things that I'd like to change about my bike. First, often I truly wish it were a mountain bike. I spend very little time biking on paved roads (consider it too dangerous as cars and trucks usually win any conflicts) preferring crushed rock and dirt trails... often the old railroad grades converted to bike trails. I'd venture onto more primitive trails, roads, and fields, but my skinny-ish tires prevent that. Thus, my wish for a mountain bike with wider tires.

Second, bikes get abused in this lifestyle... hanging out in the open on a car-mounted bike rack they're subjected to road grime and dust, nasty weather, jostled around, cabled to picnic tables in campgrounds... it's just not the way a bike should be treated. So my second wish is that there's some way to keep a bike inside, out of the elements, while living in an RV. I don't want to buy a new bike only to have it outside 24/7, in the dirt and elements of nature.

Sure, people with a toy-hauler RV, a van tow vehicle, or a cargo trailer do have a place inside for the bikes. But it's really not practical to keep the bikes inside our motorhome. And there's just no room in those storage bays in the basement, ya know? Dar's got 'em pretty full.

What if I could come up with an affordable mountain bike that folds up and could be stored in the back seat of the car or truck? That could be a solution to both of my wish-list items.

I found this online:  from Montague Bikes, a company headquartered in the Boston area. What do you think? Here's a link to a short video of how it folds.



Comments

As you said our mountain bikes spend much time on the carrier on the back of our 5er. we plan on adding a storage skirt on our present trailer as we had one on our older trailer thus creating a shed to keep the bikes, chairs and firewood out of the weather. This skirting installs in two minutes with snaps but takes five minutes to clean, fold and store in the basement but then the bicycles are back on the rear bumper.

The bick you are showing looks like it would suit your needs and still store in the lower compartments.

Be Safe and Enjoy!

It's about time.
Now that is one interesting bike to look into. I like its fold-ability and storage-ability. Thanks for the tip.
gumo said…
In reference to you Dilema post, you hit the nail right on the head on all points because we are doomed. Nothing will change except things will get worse. I am usually an optimist but lately I cannot find any hint of positive change taking place. Good job on your observations
John W. said…
Thom: I suggest you pick up a 4-6 y.o. 26" Mtn Bike off Craig's List for $75-200. Have it inspected and "trued-up" by a shop and then let it roll. The fold up unit you're looking at will not hold up and maybe hard to "fit" to your dimensions. Plus devoting an in-side storage spot to 2 units is not worth it IMHO. Out side storage will only denigrate the saddle and tires over time all inexpensive replacements. You will need to keep it lubed, chain, head-set bearings and cables. Good luck, John
John W. said…
Thom: IMHO I suggest that you up-grade to a couple of Craig List 3-6 y. o. mtn bikes. Have a pro bike shop true them up and hang 'em off the back. Tires & saddles will deteriorate but are cheap to replace off Ebay. Keep them lubed up (head- set, cables & chain) and you'll get 5 years service. The folding unit will be hard pressed to hold up and why give up internal space? Good luck, John

Slightly Better than Most