Slow Verizon

Today, Tuesday, is a work day for Dar. For some unknown reason, she's on the work schedule this week 3 days... I thought she signed up for 2? The way she turns 12 hour shifts into 14 hours will mean she'll put in more than 40 hours this week. Isn't that full-time?? Hmmm? While, the extra money in the bank will come in handy when we're fueling that 100 gallon diesel tank after resuming our travels and explorations in a few weeks, I think she'll find that third day to be a little too much.

The way we connect to the internet is by means of a Verizon "air card". The common belief among fulltimers is that Verizon probably offers the best coverage of all the national cell phone companies. It may not always be the fastest, but from a geographical standpoint, it's the most widespread. We can get some kind of connection almost anywhere we go.

With all that said, I've been disappointed by our Verizon connection here in Rockport/Fulton. It's usually slow and occasionally spotty. We are a long ways from the nearest Verizon tower and even our Verizon cell phone has marginal signal strength, so it's probably not an equipment problem -- we're just too far from the tower for good data speed. It's just something we'll have to deal with. I carry an outside antenna and signal amplifier to boost power in fringe areas, but they don't seem to do much in this location. When I have to download larger files or programs, I walk my new little Acer notebook up to the Resort office and use their free wifi. Having options for connecting to the internet is a good thing.

Looking at the bright side, the slow connection at the camper helps me control my Internet Addiction Disorder. And that's a good thing too.

Patiently waiting while this post uploads...
Thom

Slightly Better than Most